Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Self-Actualization...at work? NO WAY!!!

Last January 17, 2007, I filed my resignation (again...yep, again for the Nth time)with my boss, whom I'd consider to be one of the best bosses I've had since I started working. After all the discussions on pending work (I had 4 on-going engagements at the time), clearances and staff assessments, our talk went to the "why" zone...

Why? Aside from me being a restless soul in the midst of all the busy work schedule, client demands and school work, it would all boil down to what I can provide. Yes, I'm a provider. In my early posts, I sometimes would consider it a curse that slows me down and delays my gratification from the things I want. BUT, I never told him that.

Instead, I said the company I signed up with had a better benefits package, global presence, trainings (which I never had with the firm I'm leaving) and it had better leverage in terms of providing better compensation. It sounded nice, for me ... but his reaction wasn't what I expected. His comment felt more like a low blow and sounded like a sour-graping boy.

"...(verbatim)How about your need for self-actualization? So your decision was based only on economics..."

Economics, I agree 100%.

But self actualization, from his point of view, NEVER. I understand where his coming from, his work is his life. His daily routine is to work from monday to friday, get a massage and hang-out with friends on weekends. He's single at an age a decade away from retirement.

I, on the otherhand, see my "self-actualization' in the satisfaction I get when I see my family, wife and kids happy and content. Work is work, and it will never give me the satisfaction I need.

3 comments:

MrsPartyGirl said...

amen.

once, i had a great job, i made a decent amount of money and i was on the way to getting "there". but now that i am a stay-at-home mom, i feel more fulfilled than i've ever been. go figure :)

LotusTorch said...

I second the (e)motion :) Screw the corporate bull about your wellbeing blah blah...it all boils down to one thing for them...the bottomline. Self-actualization is relative anyway. Some find it in working themselves to death, unfortunately my field breeds those kind. But I'm with both of you I would rather come home to my husband and enjoy life...I may not wake-up tomorrow, our only time may be now...do you really want to spend it in the office? :)

Dyes said...

different strokes for different folks. good for you that you were not influenced by his 'self-actualization'. i wouldn't trade my family either for work. though i admit that i need the latter. but it's all in the priorities.

Good luck! :)